Friday, December 25, 2009

Merry Christmas to Me!

Joyous noel to you. I am happy to report I got the two things I wanted the most this year - furry black boots and a clean bill of health. My surgery went exactly as planned on Monday. I clearly remember going to sleep while muttering to the Anesthesiologist......"why do doctors always say it's only going to hurt a little.....you guys should really be more honest.....just tell us it's going to......"

When I woke up, the recovery nurse was at my side, fully stocked with copious amounts of morphine. She was awesome. She didn't hesitate to shoot me up again and again and again until I stopped flinching and drifted off to the land of rainbows and unicorns.

Sent home with more pain meds, I was essentially knocked out the rest of the day. I remember waking up to eat a grilled cheese sandwich, compliments of #1Son. My throat was so dry, it was difficult to chew and swallow. Then I heard him laughing. I had fallen asleep, sitting up, grilled cheese in hand and half a chewed bite still in my mouth.  Ahhhh, the glory of pharmaceuticals.  I told #1Son, this was foreshadowing things to come - when I'm old and can't chew my food any longer. He gave me a drink of water and a little nudge and I was out again.

The next day, I experienced a true Christmas miracle.  For the first time in six weeks, I woke up with no pain, no gushing enormous clots of blood and feeling awake, excited and energetic. I had forgotten what that felt like - to wake up as myself. I called the doctor to thank him and I cried. He had given me my life back. For the last three days I have been an obnoxiously peppy Christmas energizer bunny. I'm certain it has been annoying to everyone around me; in fact, if I wasn't so darn happy, I'd make myself sick.

I am awash with positive energy, the joy of Christmas, the happiness in my children's faces and the love of a wonderful man. I am blessed beyond belief. I'm going to put on my black furry boots and conquer the world.  Or maybe I'll just clean up the assortment of Christmas wreckage and rubble scattered throughout the house. That's a good start.

Peace, love and calm to you.
Zen Mama

It must be mentioned, I am tempered by a heavy heart, which bleeds for my good friend Robin. She has put Christmas aside to care for her mom who has been hospitalized, very weak and undergoing painful treatments. She is on my mind always, as are my other friends who are dealing with aging parents, spending their first Christmas without loved ones, cancer and other diseases and divorce. In other words.....life. At 8pm tonight, we will all stand in front of our Christmas trees and raise a glass of wine to each other. For we are each other's strength in times of weakness. Please join us at 8pm (CST) - with enough people raising a glass of goodwill, maybe we can conquer the world.

5 comments:

  1. I'm so glad your surgery went well! Congrats on feeling better. The grilled cheese thing made me laugh. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful news!!

    Your heart is huge and your blessing are felt around the world!!
    xoxo
    Hope yo have a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you!! I don't know what surgery you had, but if it's anything like the hysterectomy I had a couple of years ago, life is going to be SOOOO good from here on out!!

    Glad you're out of pain and had a great holiday!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad the surgery went well, and that it has made you sickeningly(not sure that's a word) happy!

    Lots of wishes to you for a wonderful New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. CarrieAnn - thanks, the grilled cheese thing was very funny. I have never been so out of it!

    Hollywood - thanks so much for the kind words. I love the thought of blessings around the world.

    Candance - not lucky enough for the total hysto thing, just had everything cleaned out down to the bare walls.

    Cathy - Happy new year to you. Thanks for supporting me throughout the year!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I would love to hear from you.